JEA+Write-off+contests+are+always+one+of+the+highlights+of+JEA%2FNSPA+Conventions.+Next+months+Orlando+convention+will+be+no+exception%2C+so+register+for+the+Write-offs+before+Wednesdays+6+p.m.+CST+deadline.++

Photo by Llima Orosa (from JEA/NSPA 2015 Fall Convention program cover)

JEA Write-off contests are always one of the highlights of JEA/NSPA Conventions. Next month’s Orlando convention will be no exception, so register for the Write-offs before Wednesday’s 6 p.m. CST deadline.

Don’t let your students miss out! Orlando JEA Write-off registration deadline is Oct. 21

Part of the fun of attending a JEA/NSPA Convention is giving your students the opportunity to compete against their peers in JEA Write-off contests. The registration deadline is almost here, so be sure to sign up!

October 20, 2015

Are you going to the JEA/NSPA Fall National High School Journalism Convention in Orlando Nov. 12 to 15? If so, just a reminder that the JEA Write-off registration deadline is Wednesday, Oct. 21, at 6 p.m. Central Standard Time.

You can register your students for the Write-offs here. If you need help registering, don’t hesitate to email the JEA staff at [email protected], or call toll free 866-532-5532. Don’t wait until the last minute!

Remember, a student may enter just one contest. Unless it’s a team entry, a school can enter just one student per category.

Here’s everything else you need to know about the Write-offs, courtesy of Sarah Nichols, JEA vice president:

Students in broadcast, photography, layout and graphic design contests should be working on their entries now.

Materials for the layout, graphic design and video package editing contests are available here. Find the section for the contest, and you’ll see the link to the Orlando materials and contest instructions. The entries must be completed and uploaded no later than 6 p.m.  CST on Wednesday, Oct. 21. No late entries will be accepted!

Once your students are ready to upload their entries, please note the gray box to the right of the contest page that gives a link to uploading instructions.

For online submission of photos, use this link.

For online submission of videos, use this link.

When you get to the convention, you must pick up the Write-off entry ID labels for your students. Most of the broadcast contests will meet Friday morning, so students in those contests must have their ID labels before their contest begins.

The registration area will be open until 7 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 12, and will open again at 8 a.m. Friday, Nov. 13, in Atlantic Hall B-C, Ground Level. If you’ll be staying in a hotel other than the Dolphin you’ll need to allow additional travel time to the Dolphin.

Broadcast contests starting at 8 or 8:15 a.m. Friday, Nov. 13, include:

36 Broadcast News Story
44 On-Air Reporter
45 Broadcast Newswriting
46 Broadcast Package (8:15 a.m.)
47 Videography

Also, we are still looking for judges in newspaper and yearbook writing categories. Please email Nancy Smith to volunteer at: [email protected].

Make sure you and your students have read the directions about file sizes, metadata placement and so forth. Often, the reason a photo doesn’t upload is because of file size or the student name and caption are in the incorrect place.

For more information about the Write-offs, click here.