Apply for FREE EIU summer journalism workshop

The Illinois Press Foundation and Eastern Illinois University are partnering once again to provide a FREE two-week journalism workshop for students.

April 23, 2015

The Illinois Press Foundation/Eastern Illinois University’s annual two-week journalism camp — which is free for students — is now accepting applications for its 2015 session, with the camp scheduled June 7-19.

The workshop, which is funded by the IPF, Dow Jones Newspaper Fund, Robert R. McCormick Foundation and EIU, first takes students through a week of classroom training with professional reporters, editors, publishers and photographers.

During the second week, the students head out to area newspapers to complete assignments as interns.

At the conclusion, the students put together their own newspaper and news website. Students also take day trips to area sites.

Graduating high school seniors, as well as juniors and sophomores, are eligible to apply; 18 students will be selected for the camp and will have their tuition, room and meals paid for. Students do not have to have prior journalism experience.

Go to the IPF/EIU Summer Journalism Workshop website for all the information and application. Those interested may also contact workshop director Joe Gisondi at 217-581-6003 or [email protected].

To see past work by workshop participants, visit the IPF Workshop site.