Know of a deserving colleague? Deadlines are drawing near for IJEA educator and friend awards

Although we love to honor student journalists, we also strive to recognize their elders — the teachers, advisers, administrators and friends who make outstanding scholastic journalism possible with their guidance and support. Do you know of deserving candidates? Submit your nominations — or your own applications — today!

February 21, 2017

We know Illinois has amazing advisers, women and men who share their passion for all aspects of journalism with high school students in the classroom and in the newsrooms. So what an honor it is for the IJEA to recognize these individuals for a job well done.

In fact, one of our tenets as noted in our bylaws is to recognize outstanding performance in and outstanding support for the field of scholastic media.

The highest honor for journalism teachers and advisers given by the IJEA is the James A. Tidwell Award for Excellence in Scholastic Media Education, given each spring to recognize a single outstanding high school media educator who has done exemplary work.

The adviser is honored at his or her school, and then in front of peers at the annual IJEA Adviser Breakfast at the IHSA state journalism tournament in April. A highlight of the breakfast is a speech given by the honoree.

You can apply for the award or nominate a candidate, read more about James Tidwell and hear four of the acceptance speeches at our Tidwell Award page.

We hope you will consider applying for this honor or nominating a Tidwell Award candidate, a Friend of Scholastic Journalism, an Administrator of the Year, a potential Hall of Fame member or a Lifetime Achievement Award candidate.

So many worthy candidates in Illinois should have the opportunity to be recognized for their achievements. 

March 1 Deadline

May 1 Deadline