IJEA’s Stan Zoller selected for NSPA’s top honor to journalism educators

The former Rolling Meadows adviser and tireless scholastic journalism advocate will receive the Pioneer Award in November at the JEA/NSPA Fall National Convention

We could not be prouder of Illinois’ own Stan Zoller, one of the six 2014 NSPA Pioneer Award recipients.

He will receive his award at the Nov. 8 luncheon at the Fall National High School Journalism Convention in Washington, D.C. Congratulations, Stan!

The Pioneer Award is the National Scholastic Press Association’s top honor to journalism educators. Pioneers are individuals who make substantial contributions to high school publications and journalism programs outside of their primary employment.

Below is what the NSPA wrote about Zoller in announcing the award:

“Stan Zoller, MJE, in his 15th year in journalism education. Currently a lecturer in journalism at Lake Forest (Ill.) College, Zoller also handles projects for the Center for News Literacy at Stony Brook University.

“He judged or coordinated judging for multiple scholastic press associations. He has taught at summer workshops at Eastern Illinois University, the University of Iowa and George Mason University in Virginia.

“In addition to his classroom activities, Zoller is East Region Director for the Journalism Education Association and is a member of its Scholastic Press Right Commission.

“He has been JEA State Director for Illinois and is a member of the Illinois Journalism Education Association. He has also been a board member of the Kettle Moraine Press Association (KEMPA).

“Zoller is Vice President for Freedom of Information of the Chicago Headline Club, Chicago’s SPJ chapter, and serves on the board of the Chicago Headline Club Foundation and Chicago Bulldog Media, a newly formed nonprofit organization to promote journalism to young journalists in Chicago.

“As a high school adviser, his students won a myriad of awards including state Journalists of the Year, a Silver Crown award and were twice Pacemaker finalists. Zoller was a DJNF Special Recognition Adviser in 2010 and a Distinguished Adviser in 2011. He was an ASNE fellow in 2003.”