Speech Rights of Student Journalists Act moves on to Illinois House

HB 5902 is unanimously approved on April 6

Journalism students from throughout Illinois stand with Rep. Will Guzzardi (D-Chicago) in Springfield on April 6. The bill to protect student journalists’ free speech rights was unanimously voted through committee that day.

new voices bannerScholastic journalism in Illinois scored a victory on April 6 as House Bill 5902, the Speech Rights of Student Journalists Act, was passed by the bipartisan Judiciary-Civil Committee by a vote of 11-0.

The bill’s purpose is to protect the First Amendment rights of journalists at the high school level (mirroring the rights college journalists now have) and would extend to media or publications that are sponsored by the school, as well as afford protection for advisers. It is worth noting that the law wouldn’t protect student journalism that is unethical in nature.

The legislation, sponsored by Rep. Will Guzzardi (D-Chicago), was presented at a hearing in Springfield with the testimony of Illinois Journalist of the Year Runner-Up Hope Johnson from Taylorville, Harrisburg High School adviser Cathy Wall, and Student Press Law Center Executive Director Frank LoMonte. Students from Arthur-Lovington-Atwood-Hammond (with adviser Kendall Huffman), Harrisburg, Taylorville (with adviser Steven Steele) and Washington (with adviser Jennifer Reiser) high schools also attended the hearing in support of the bill, along with Downers Grove journalism adviser Liz Levin, former advisers Carol Smith and Randy Swikle, IJEA Executive Director Sally Renaud, and the JEA leaders of the bill, Stan Zoller and Brenda Field.

According to Renaud, “Stan and Brenda deserve accolades galore; their work with the legislators, the organizing, the securing of supporters: it all came together. Their work spearheading this endeavor has brought the bill one step closer. A proud day.”

Zoller, in turn, passed praise onto the Student Press Law Center.

“It’s highly unlikely we would be where we are without Frank LoMonte and the SPLC,” Zoller said.

The bill now moves onto the Illinois House with an expected vote by the end of April. According to Zoller, success there could mean the legislation would be brought up in the Senate before the session ends in late May.

For more, see the Student Press Law Center or previous coverage from IJEA.