Broadcast journalist Ted Land to headline IJEA Fall Conference Sept. 14

Ted Land, an Emmy Award-winning reporter and video journalist for KING 5 News in Seattle, will be the keynote speaker at the 2018 IJEA Fall Conference. The event will take place Friday, Sept. 14, in the Illini Union at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

Greetings, Illinois scholastic journalism teachers and advisers, and welcome back to a new school year!

If you’re looking for the ultimate experience to combine motivation with education for your high school media staffs, please join us at the 2018 Illinois Journalism Education Association (IJEA) Fall Conference.

The event will be held Friday, Sept. 14, at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign in the Illini Union.

The last few years will be looked back on as important milestones for journalism.

We are marking the start of a new era in the news media where journalists on all levels, including high school, are reasserting their influence and duty to find truth and hold the powers that be accountable.

Our keynote speaker and individual sessions will address the challenges that lie ahead in this new age.

Keynote Speaker: Broadcast Journalist Ted Land

We are thrilled to have as our keynote speaker Ted Land, an Emmy Award-winning reporter and video journalist for KING 5 News in Seattle.

The 2007 UIUC graduate in broadcast journalism shoots, writes and edits stories for TV, the web and school media.

Land’s recent stories include coverage of the Houston flooding and the Las Vegas and Orlando mass shootings. He has also worked in Anchorage, South Bend, Reno and Chicago.

His professional honors include a 2014 National Edward R. Murrow Award for writing.

Live Conference Coverage on “Good Morning Illini”

We will stream Ted Land’s keynote speech live on the “Good Morning Illini” (GMI) YouTube page.

GMI, a morning show broadcast live every Friday from Richmond Studio on the UIUC campus, will also preview the day’s events.

As part of GMI’s programming, the show’s production staff would like to share any videos your students may have done in the past year or interview your students live if they have won an award for their work.

If you would be interested in having your students’ video work shown on GMI, or if you would like any of your award-winning students to be interviewed on the show, please contact GMI adviser Kenneth Erdey at [email protected].

Breakout Sessions

Each year our conference offers a variety of sessions tailored to the interests and needs of high school journalists.

Whether your students work on yearbook or newspaper, digital media or broadcast, they’ll be sure to find a session that suits them.

We also offer a track designed for advisers, for which you can earn professional development credit.

Recent conferences have featured sessions on the following topics:

• Propaganda and the media
  • Smartphone journalism
  • Analytics to make your program stronger
  • Concept-driven story telling
  • How to cover a tragedy
  • Tips on adding a broadcast element to your newscast

Plus individual sessions on editing; photography; better design for newspapers; yearbooks and websites; staff management and much more!

For Additional Information

Please keep your eye on the IJEA Conference website — https://media.illinois.edu/ijea — for more information about the conference and the individual sessions we will be offering.

Instructions for registering your students and reserving your spot in the conference are available here:

See you on Sept. 14!