Apply NOW: 2016 Summer Journalism Workshops

Although a few deadlines have already passed, several summer journalism camps and workshops are still accepting applications

Journalism education doesn’t stop when the school year ends. There are many opportunities to keep learning, practicing, and engaging with other student journalists throughout the summer months. Take a look at the journalism workshop or camp offerings below to get started.

u of I media workshopMedia University at University of Illinois Urbana- Champaign (application deadline May 30, 2016)

Our summer camps for high school students focus on creativity, multimedia journalism, entrepreneurship, and the sports industry. These week-long interactive sessions, taught by professors and professionals, help students develop skills and explore the wide-ranging career paths in the media industry.

Press Pass – June 24 – July 1, cost: $995 + $25 application fee
This multimedia journalism camp for students teaches storytelling skills and how to prepare video news breaks for the 21st Century. Journalism teachers are welcome, too!

Imagination U – June 26 – July 1, cost: $795 + $25 application fee
Get a glimpse into the world of advertising. Apply your natural creativity to selling brands.

Media Entrepreneurship – July 8 – 16, cost: $895 + $25 application fee
Discover the best way to translate an idea into a product, technology or service that people want.

360° Sports – July 10 – 16, cost: $895 + $25 application fee
Turn your love of sports into a dynamic career. Get hands-on experience with everything from PR to photography to production to play-by-play reporting.

SIUC

Southern Illinois University-Carbondale Journalism Summer camp (application deadline unknown)

During a five-day Journalism Camp on the campus here in Carbondale, students stay in university residence halls and have a full schedule of journalism related activities. This year, the camp starts Monday, June 20, and ends Friday, June 24. Students will receive training in photography, web design, reporting and interviewing skills, social media and news writing. All meals are provided and, thanks to the generous support of the Illinois Press Foundation, the fee for the program is just $50. We still have a few opening and we are limited to 16 students. The students must be recommended by their high school teacher.

kempa1

KEMPA Summer Journalism Workshop (application deadline June 15, 2016)

The Kettle Moraine Press Association wants you to join us this summer for an experience of a lifetime July 17-20, 2016 at MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY’S DIEDERICH COLLEGE OF COMMUNICATION. The four-day workshop will provide your students with one of the best educational experiences in the nation, with some of the best instructors. Campers stay in a dorm on Marquette’s campus in the heart of Milwaukee, which provides our camp with access to a number of opportunities for storytelling, team building, and more. It also means that we are a short distance from many forms of transportation if you are needing to come in from far away. Our curriculum is tracked and provides students with a variety of learning experiences geared toward their ability levels and experiences.

NON-KEMPA MEMBER: Overnight: $450, Commuter: $375

KEMPA MEMBER: Overnight: $400, Commuter: $350

ALL REGISTRATION is $450, regardless of commuter/overnight or KEMPA Member/Non-member, if you register between June 15 and July 1.

medianow

MediaNOW St. Louis (application deadline June 17, 2016)

The workshop for 2016 is set for a Sunday kick-off, June 26 at 2:01 p.m. through the Awards Ceremony on Wednesday, June 29. You’ll be released just before lunchtime so you can celebrate your accomplishments off-campus with family and friends. There will be on-campus housing available and lots of time for mind-melting, brain-bursting, crazy good times in between. We will have an awards ceremony at 10:15 a.m. on Wednesday, June 29. Parents, Guardians and Advisers are welcome and encouraged to attend to see what all your campers have accomplished in our short time together. Media Now STL is excited to be working with Maryville University, in St. Louis, Missouri.

The registration fee includes food (lunch for three days and dinner for two days), lab fees, parking and T-shirt. Registration fees (excluding housing) are:

$285  Early Bird (through April 1, 2016), $300 Regular Open Registration (April 2-June 1, 2016), $325 Late Fee (After June 1, 2016)

indiana university

Indiana University’s High School Journalism Institute (application deadline June 17, 2016)

Join us for the 70th annual High School Journalism Institute and learn skills to help you lead your high school newspapers, yearbooks and broadcast channels. High school students participate in hands-on workshops to practice and improve their skills while high school advisers take advantage of collaboration with seasoned pros or develop independent projects. High school students stay in dorms and go to classes at Ernie Pyle Hall, and they have all of campus and the city as a backdrop to their projects.

Workshop dates July 11-15 and July 17-21. Deadline to register is June 17. Learn about grants to attend HSJI at the website.

Ball State

Ball State University Summer Media Academy (application deadline June 22, 2016)

With a vintage Las Vegas theme, BSU Journalism Workshops Summer Media Academy goes “No Limits!” to empower students and advisers to reach greater heights in their broadcast, web, news and yearbook programs. Our academy helps staffs work together effectively and teaches them how to tell great stories on multiple platforms that best connect with their school community. Join us to celebrate our 50th birthday!

Our summer experience includes:

• New 4-day schedule
  • Affordable tuition (includes air-conditioned housing, all classes, T-shirt)
  • Cutting-edge curriculum (team-taught, staff-focused and leadership-driven)
  • First-rate faculty
  • Innovative daily schedule
  • Special Adviser course*

July 10-13, 2016 – 4-day session 1; July 14-17, 2016 – 4-day session 2; July 10-17, 2016 – 8-day session

Where: Ball State University, Muncie, Ind.

Cost: $325 for a 4-day workshop (both students and advisers*), which includes air-conditioned housing

Combo discount: $625 to attend all eight days of the workshop, which includes air-conditioned housing

Local students: $250 per workshop for students living within 20 miles of Ball State’s campus, does not include housing (additional parking fees will be incurred)

NIUNorthern Illinois University Journalism Camp (early bird application deadline June 24, 2016)

Register for Northern Illinois University’s Journalism Camp if you’d like to:

• do the work of real print and online reporters, editors, photographers and columnists
  • sharpen your writing and interpersonal skills
  • experience the latest in story-telling techniques via social media and web journalism
  • become a more sophisticated news consumer
  • meet students with similar interests

Northern Illinois University’s Journalism camp for high school students provides working experience for students interested in online and print journalism. You will learn what it takes to be a working journalist by generating story ideas, assigning stories, reporting, writing stories, shooting photos, editing, writing headlines and laying out the stories in an in-camp newspaper and website. You also learn the responsibility of a free press in a democracy and will leave the camp a more sophisticated news consumer.

Camp Director: Shelley Hendricks is adviser of Northern Illinois University’s student-run newspaper, the Northern Star. Before joining NIU in July, Shelley worked from 1996 to 2009 at the Rockford Registar Star, where she was a copy editor, assistant news editor, assistant business editor, community news editor, metro editor and editor of Rockford Woman magazine. Shelley was a copy editor at the Kane County Chronicle and was on the staff of The Spectator, the student-run newspaper at the University of Wisconsin — Eau Claire.

For campers entering grades 9-12, from July 10-15, 2016. Early bird fee ends June 24, 2016!

Summer Camp Fees: Residential campers $595 ($650 after June 24, 2016); returning LA&S Academic Summer campers, multiple campers from the same household, or NIU employees are eligible for an additional $25 discount on request.

Consider applying to these Journalism Summer Workshops NEXT year!

EIU

Illinois Press Foundation/Eastern Illinois University High School Journalism Workshop (application deadline May 18, 2016)

The IPF/EIU High School Journalism Workshop is a 10-day residential program from June 22-July 1, 2016 that provides students an intimate look at journalism as a career. The goal is to educate students about the journalism profession, including approaches by modern, digital newsrooms. The workshop introduces students to the complete process of publishing news: gathering and validating information, substantiating and using multiple sources, writing news, editing, designing, and production. In addition, students are exposed to the concepts of news literacy and how to differentiate and establish fact from fiction in today’s sometimes frenetic, rush-­‐to-­‐report news environment.

Professional journalists provide most of the instruction through presentations and hands-­‐ on exercises. Students start reporting immediately, beginning with a story by the end of the first day. By the end of the 10 days, students will write at least three stories, take at least two news photos, report through social media, post stories on a news website, and edit/design.

In the second week, students intern at several newspapers. Sites typically include the Champaign News-­‐Gazette, Charleston Times-­‐Courier & Mattoon Journal-­‐Gazette, Decatur Herald & Review, Robinson Daily News, Taylorville Breeze-­‐Courier, and Effingham Daily News. For three days, students are driven to participating papers, where they work with journalists on assignments, which range from coverage of murder trials to interviewing the governor to exploring county fairs.

The bulk of funds is provided by the Illinois Press Foundation. The Dow Jones News Fund and the McCormick Foundation are also significant contributors to the program. Housing, meals and tuition are paid from these funds.

Students must complete an application form that is available above. Other requirements are (1) completion of sophomore year in high school, (2) a 500-­‐word essay by the student describing his/her career goals and how the workshop would help achieve those goals; (3) submission of three samples of the student’s writing, preferably published non-­‐fiction or graded essays; (4) two letters of recommendation from the student’s teachers/advisers.

medill

Northwestern University Medill-Northwestern Journalism Institute (application deadline March 21, 2016)

Cherubs is more than a journalism camp. From high schools around the world, we come to Northwestern University’s Medill School of Journalism in Evanston, Illinois, just outside of Chicago. We immerse ourselves in media for five weeks. We study writing, reporting and editing for print, digital and broadcast. We make lifelong friends. As our instructors say, “Welcome to the best summer of your life.”

The Medill-Northwestern Journalism Institute is the nation’s most prestigious university-based summer program for high school journalists. It was established in 1934 as the “National Institute for High School Journalists” and for many years was known as the “National High School the years, students often have been called “Cherubs,” a tradition that began in the 1930s.

Missouri journalism

Missouri Urban Journalism Workshop (application deadline April 15, 2016)

The Missouri School of Journalism, with the help of the Dow Jones News Fund, created the Missouri Urban Journalism Workshop (MUJW) in 1971 to encourage high school students to consider journalism as a career. The 2016 workshop will be July 9-17.

High-school juniors and seniors can apply until April 15, 2016. There is a competitive selection process that limits the number of participants. Each summer, high school students from around the country gather on the University of Missouri campus to work under the guidance of professional journalists to produce stories, photos and broadcasts. The work of the MUJW students is published as an online publication called the Urban Pioneer.